Friday, January 18, 2013

Try Not to Breathe

Try Not to Breathe
Author: Jennifer R. Hubbard
Page Count: 233
Release Date: January 19, 2012
Publisher: Viking
Series: N/A
Source: Library

Read the summary here on Goodreads.

My Review:

This was a very inspiring novel. While I didn't especially enjoy this novel, I still felt like it was a good book.

I was unable to relate to the subject matter in Try Not to Breathe. I know very little about suicide. What I do know, I learned in nursing school. Even so, I still felt a pull to get to know the protagonist more.

This novel does focus on a subject that is all to real. The author did a great job tackling this issue. Nothing about the novel feels fake or forced. It shows you that everything won't be fine in the blink of an eye, but does give you a positive outlook.

Ryan, the protagonist, is sixteen and has just recently gotten out of a mental hospital after a suicide attempt. He feels as if he is invisible. After his release, his parents constantly watch him, afraid that he will try again. During his summer vacation from school, he meets Nikki, a girl who has her own issues. Ryan begins to trust Nikki and little by little his walls come down.

The characters in this novel are so real. They display real emotions and experiences. It did not feel as if the author had to force herself to write a teenage character.

I was a bit disappointed with the ending. I felt as if it ended to soon and it left me with a lot of questions.

As for the cover, I liked it. At first, I didn't really understand how it pertained to the novel, but after I finished reading, it made more sense to me.

In the end, I give this novel a 3/5. I liked the novel but a wasn't not completely satisfied by it. Even so, I will still recommend it.

Rating: 3/5

Review also posted on Goodreads. 
     

No comments:

Post a Comment