Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Delirium

Delirium
Author: Lauren Oliver
Page Count: 441
Release Date: February 1, 2011
Publisher: Harper Teen
Series: Delirium #1
Source: Library

Read the summary here on Goodreads.

My Review

I really enjoyed this book. I had been wanting to read it for a while, so when I found it at my local library, I grabbed it up.

The plot of this book was interesting. The government and society sees love as a disease. Everyone is to be cured when they turn eighteen. People who are accused of being sympathizers are locked up. Lena is counting down the days to her procedure because she very strongly believes that it is a good thing. She lives with her aunt and uncle, as her parents are deceased. She meets Alex and her beliefs change drastically. She finds out some truths about some thing and does what she believes is the right thing for her to do.

Very good characterization in this novel. While I thought Lena was a bit whinny at time, all together she was an interesting character. She has several struggles throughout the novel with her beliefs and her duty. Alex is a strong male character. His way of life is totally opposite of Lena's and I believe that made him a perfect match for her. As for Hana, she was an awesome supporting character. As Lena best friend, she is the person that Lena is closest to and she covers for Lena while Lena is with Alex.

The romance in this novel was a bit like those in other YA/Dystopian novels, but with a twist. Since love is considered a disease and is forbidden, Lena and Alex have to be extremely careful.

I liked how each chapter had an excerpt from the guidelines of Delirium's society. It gave you a feeling of actually being a part of the society and help with some of the confusion when Lena would make a reference to it.

The ending, oh what can I say about it? I was somewhat happy with some of what happened but other parts of the ending had me screaming WHAT!?! Then there is a cliffhanger. You are definitely left wondering what is going to happen next.

All in all, a great book. I look forward to reading Pandemonium.

Rating: 4/5

Review also posted on Goodreads.
   
 

No comments:

Post a Comment