Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Falling Kingdoms

Falling Kingdoms
Author: Morgan Rhodes
Page Count: 412
Release Date: December 11, 2012
Publisher: Razorbill 
Series: Falling Kingdoms #1
Source:  Library
Read the summary here on Goodreads.

My Review:

Awesome book! I was once a person who wouldn't even pick up a book that had anything to do with fantasy; now I enjoy fantasy books. This wasn't the best fantasy novel I've read, but it was definitely an amazing book.

The title of this book is very appropriate. The kingdoms of Mythica are actually falling because of poverty and war.

The novel is written in third person from several characters' point-of-view. You are able to get to know Cleo, Jonas, Lucia, and Magnus. Cleo is the princess of Auranos. She kind of comes across as a spoiled brat, but in my opinion she is anything but. Sure, she has been raised in royalty and is used to being pampered, but she genuinely cares for people and is willing to do what she has to do to save them. Jonas is a wine seller's son who is out to avenge his brothers death. He wants Cloe to suffer. Magnus is the prince of Limeros. He's a bit different from the other characters. While I liked him, I felt that his dark side greatly overshadowed the good side. Lucia is the princess of Limeros and is a sorceress. She cares for her brother very deeply. However, she is not really who she think she is. I felt that we didn't get to learn as much about Lucia as we did about the other characters in the novel.

The plot was full of energy. There is struggle for control of the kingdoms and even a bit of a love story thrown in. The novel was extremely well paced. For me, there wasn't a single part were it was slow and unbearable. I had a good time reading Falling Kingdoms, aside from the emotional turmoil that you go through when some of the supporting characters are killed. However, you are left with a cliffhanger. A huge cliffhanger. I am very eager to find out what happens.

While I found the cover of the book cool and intriguing, it really had nothing to do with the book. If anything, it is kind of misleading.

I quite liked how Falling Kingdoms had a Cast of Characters listed in the front of the book. It definitely help me with the confusion when I would forget who was who. Great reference tool.

All in all, a great book and one that I would definitely recommend. I look forward to reading the next book.  


Rating: 4/5

Review also posted on Goodreads. 


No comments:

Post a Comment