Thursday, March 14, 2013

The Coincidence of Callie and Kayden

The Coincidence of Callie and Kayden
Author: Jessica Sorensen
Page Count: 276 (ebook)
Release Date: December 13, 2012
Publisher: Jessica Sorensen
Series: The Coincidence #1
Source: Purchased
Read the synopsis here on Goodreads. 

 

My Review:

While I'm not usually a big reader of contemporary novels, I can definitely say that this book played a big role in changing my mind about that. It's not often that a book is able to draw me in from the first page, but this one certainly did.

This novel started off great from the very beginning. There was never a dull moment for me. I absolutely loved the story line. Callie and Kayden grew up in the same town and went to the same school, but that's it. They never interacted with each other. Circumstances of Callie's past have cause to change and shut herself off from the world around her. Kayden is harboring a secret of his own. When they end up at the same college, this slowly change for both of them and they end up falling for each other.

Jessica Sorensen didn't shy away from any touchy subject in this book. While some might say that they don't agree with it, I personally thought it helped at the the intrigue of this novel.

The characters are very well developed. Both Callie and Kayden are dealing with things that happened in their past, even if their ways of dealing with it may not very healthy. Callie, while she is afraid to trust anyone, she is still a strong character. Kayden is a bit of a playboy and tries to keep himself from feeling. There are also some great secondary character, especially Seth. He is one of Callie's best friends and they first person she opens up to about her past.

I enjoyed reading the story from two points of view. You are able to look into both of the lead characters' lives.

The romance is this novel was so different from many of the books I've read and that is a very good thing. There is no insta-love, thankfully. Their relationship develops over time and isn't smooth sailing all the way. This made the novel so much better. While a not a fan of drama and angst, I feel that a little bit helps at some sustenance to a novel.

The ending. What an ending. There was such a build up to the ending then it cuts off. I'm am so eager to find out what happens next. It's such a huge cliffhanger. I don't know what else to say about it.

The cover is awesome. In my opinion, it portrays so much emotion. The cover is what initially drew me to the book. It's intriguing and make you wonder what is happening inside the book.

All in all, I fell in love with this book. I would recommend it to everyone. That being said, if you haven't read this book, you should definitely check it out.

Rating: 5/5

Review also posted on Goodreads.

No comments:

Post a Comment