Friday, March 29, 2013

Let the Sky Fall

Let the Sky Fall
Author: Shannon Messenger
Page Count: 416
Release Date: March 5, 2013
Publisher: Simon Pulse
Series: Let the Sky Fall #1
Source: Purchased
Read the synopsis here on Goodreads.

My Review:

**Possible Spoilers**

It's not often that I find a book that I don't want to put down, but I found one with this book. I had a hard time putting this book down when I needed to attend to something else. I actually stayed up til midnight trying to finish reading it when I had to be at work by 6 A.M the next morning. That's how much I liked this book.

The plot of this book was unlike other books I've read. I was drawn to it instantly. The writing is brilliant.

Vane is a seventeen year old who survived a tornado when he was seven years old. He remembers nothing about his life before the tornado. He has constant dreams about a girl, who turns out to be real. Audra is a Windwalker whose mission is to protect Vane at all costs. After a mistake reveals them to their enemies, Audra must help vain recover his past and prepare for the battle that lies ahead of them. Vane has a rough time dealing with the new revelations, but with Audra's help, he is able to overcome the difficulties and harness his true nature.

Interesting characters in this novel. Vane is a typical teenage boy. He thinks and acts like a teenager in high school. As much as I hate high school drama and stuff like that, I was glad that Vane acted his age. A lot of novels have characters that act too old or too young for their age, so I appreciate that the character actually acted his age. Audra is Vane's guardian. Her task is to protect Vane and help him uncover his true nature. I was able to connect with the character's in this novel and I liked that.

Let the Sky Fall is told from two points of view; Vane's and Audra's. The chapters alternate with the points of view. Each chapter tells whose POV it is and it's very easy to keep up. I was never confused about who was talking. I actually enjoyed the multiple POVs. I was able to learn about both characters and see their world the way each of them saw it, instead of just having one view.

I enjoyed the romantic aspect of the novel also. While there is a bit of an insta-love aspect to the romance, it is not that bad. They technically have known each other for many years, ever though Vane did not know for sure if Audra was real or if she was just a figment of his imagination. The concept of being bonded by just one single kiss was interesting also. I have never read a book with that concept before. Just one kiss will bond a couple together, forever. It was different and captivating.

The ending was good but sad, in my opinion. So much happens and I have so many questions. The novel cuts off at a good place, though, and leaves a nice opening for the sequel.

The world building in Let the Sky Fall is great. The descriptions are so vivid that I could actually visualize what was going on without difficulty.

The cover is awesome. It draws the eye to the book and in my opinion, the people on the cover portray Vane and Audra perfectly. The colors on the cover remind me of an actual sky.

Let the Sky Fall is a wonderful book and I definitely recommend it. I am eagerly looking forward to the next book.

Rating: 5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment